United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Smart Snacks Fundraising REQUIREMENTS:
- District 6 wants to create a culture of wellness, where the healthy choice is the easy choice for students, employees, and visitors. In October of 2011, District 6 updated the Wellness Policy to include the following regarding fundraising:
- Only nonfood fundraisers such as flowers, gift-wrap, sporting events, and family fun runs for all fundraisers that occur during the school day.
- While food fundraisers are discouraged outside of the school day, they are permitted; however, foods sold need to meet the following nutritional guidelines:
- Not more than 30% of the total calories of the food item, excluding nuts or seeds, is from fat
- Not more than 10% of the total calories of the food item, excluding reduced-fat cheeses, eggs, and nut butters, is from saturated fat
- Not more than 35% of the total weight of the food item, excluding fruits or vegetables, is composed of sugar
- Further more, the Student Wellness Program wants to encourage schools to pursue fundraising opportunities that involve physical activity, such as walkathons.
Healthy Kids Club will sponsor t-shirts for your school, but you must apply by October 15, 2019!!