Colorado law requires all students attending Colorado schools and licensed child cares to be vaccinated against certain diseases unless they have a certificate of medical or nonmedical exemption on file. You must file a certificate of exemption at each school, or child care the student attends. To protect unvaccinated children, students with an exemption from one or more required vaccines may be kept out of a school or child care during a disease outbreak.
Students with a completed Certificate of medical exemption signed by an advanced practice nurse, a delegated physician assistant, or physician licensed to practice medicine or osteopathic medicine in any state or territory of the United States will need to submit this Certificate only once unless the student’s information or school changes.
CERTIFICATE OF MEDICAL EXEMPTION - ENGLISH (12/2020)
CERTIFICATE OF MEDICAL EXEMPTION - SPANISH (12/2020)
CERTIFICATE OF MEDICAL EXEMPTION - SOMALI (12/2020)
- Beginning in the 2021-2022 school year (7/1/2021), the process of submitting a nonmedical exemption will change. There will be two ways to submit a nonmedical exemption.
- Submit the Certificate of nonmedical exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider in Colorado who is a medical doctor, doctor of osteopathic medicine, advanced practice nurse, delegated physician’s assistant, or pharmacist OR
- Submit the Certificate of nonmedical exemption received upon the completion of CDPHE’s Online Immunization Education Module.
- Parents of students in preschool must submit nonmedical exemptions at 2, 4, 6, 12 and 18 months of age. These exemptions expire when the next vaccines are due or when the child enrolls in kindergarten.
- Parents of students in grades K-12 claiming a nonmedical exemption must submit one annually. Nonmedical exemptions expire June 30th each year. If you submit a Certificate of nonmedical exemption on or before June 30th, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you submit the exemption during early registration.
CERTIFICATE OF NONMEDICAL EXEMPTION - ENGLISH (5/2021)
CERTIFICATE OF NONMEDICAL EXEMPTION - SPANISH (5/2021)
CERTIFICATE OF NONMEDICAL EXEMPTION - SOMALI (5/2021)