The Extended Essay: What is it, Why do I do it, and When do I Get Started
Extended Essay Coordinator: Gary Shaver
For questions contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Extended Essay?
An in-depth essay on a topic of the student's choice from the approved list of courses
~40 hours of research
How is it scored?
Criteria A: Focus and Method
Criteria B: Knowledge and Understanding
Criteria C: Critical Thinking
Criteria D: Presentation
Criteria E: Engagement
How is it Assessed?
out of 36 points on an A-E scale: A=Excellent & E=Elementary
Extended Essay timeline for Juniors
- Oct. 12th: decided on subject and supervisor. Submitted Signed contract to Mr. Shaver
- November 15th: discuss research question with supervisor have met with the librarian to discuss research question
- Mid December: prove the viability of proposed research question with 5-8 sources and share with supervisor
- January: Complete first reflection with supervisor--subject, research question, sources
- End of February: EE Presentation in IB Cafe
- March 28: OUTLINE & write first 2,000 words minimum & meet with Supervisor
- April: In homeroom, complete Rough Draft 3,000-4,000 words & meet with supervisor
- Email parents student’s plan @ the end of May
Upon request, students may go to UNC Michener Library for research assistance.
This is for help narrowing/clarifying research question, finding sources for your research, and/or having a college professor provide feedback on your paper.
Guides and Guidance for the Extended Essay
EE 2018 Guide: IB's website with all kinds of information on writing the eESubject Specific Rubrics for EE