What are the approaches to learning (ATL)?
- ATL are deliberate strategies, skills and attitudes that permeate the teaching and learning environment.
- ATL supports the IB belief that a large influence on a student’s education is not only what you learn but also how you learn.
- ATL are intrinsically linked with the IB learner profile attributes to enhance student learning and assist student preparation for life after high school.
Approaches to Learning (5 elements)
- thinking skills
- communication skills
- social skills
- self-management skills
- research skills
Approaches to Teaching (6 elements)
- teaching through inquiry
- teaching through concepts
- teaching developed in local and global contexts
- teaching focused on effective teamwork and collaboration
- teaching differentiated to meet the needs of all learners
- teaching informed by assessment