Academic Language and Content Achievement Certificate Program
- In order to ensure that all Colorado educators are well equipped and able to teach Colorado's diverse student population, the Colorado State Board of Education approved new rules for educator licensure.
- Educators endorsed in elementary education, or all levels of math, science, social studies, or English language arts seeking a renewal of their professional license.
- Must complete or demonstrate completion of professional development activities equivalent to 45 clock/contact hours or three semester hours in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education that meets or exceeds the new standards.
- Effective September 1, 2018, and every year thereafter, within a full five year renewal period, must only be completed once during the term of the educators license.
- Educators can meet this requirement in one or more of the following ways:
- Demonstration through a collection of professional development, in service, college/university credit and/or work experience that meet the standards as outlined.
- Completion of any CDE approved English Learner Professional Development Pathway.
- Completion of a CLD related endorsement in or out of Colorado.
- Quality Standard I: Educators are knowledgeable about CLD populations.
- Quality Standard II: Educators should be knowledgeable in first and second language acquisition.
- Quality Standard III: Educators should understand literacy development for CLD students.
- Quality Standard IV: Educators are knowledgeable in the teaching strategies including methods, materials and assessment for CLD students.
5.12 Quality Standard I: Educators are knowledgeable about CLD Populations
5.13 Quality Standard II: Educators should be knowledgeable in first and second language acquisition
5.14 Quality Standard III: Educators should understand literacy development for CLD students
5.15 Quality Standard IV: Educators are knowledgeable in the teaching strategies, methods, materials
For further information, click on the resources below.