Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
What is Social Emotional Learning and why is it important?
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) helps students and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
Social and emotional skill building can have a positive impact on school climate, help students become good learners, and prevent or reduce many risky behaviors, including drug use, violence, bullying, and dropping out.
SEL is a powerful means for supporting each other through these uncertain times and continues to be a part of our daily work with students as we provide distance learning.
D6 SEL framework strives to enable students to develop in a safe, inclusive, culturally responsive, academically engaging, and equitable learning environment that cultivates:
- Self Awareness
- Self Management
- Social Awareness
- Relationship Skills
- Responsible Decision Making
Positive Climate and Culture Environment and Routines
- Community Building Activities/PBIS
- Trauma Informed Teaching Practices
- Belonging and Student Safety
- Student Centered Discipline
Explicit evidenced based SEL instruction
Evidenced Based SEL Curriculum
- Sequenced:Connected coordinated activities
- Active:Forms of learning that help students master new skills
- Focused:Clearly emphasizing personal and social skills
- Explicit:Targeting the 5 SEL competencies
Embedding SEL activities in core content and instruction.
- Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Fostering Growth Mindset and Mindfulness
District 6 has selected Second Step social emotional learning curriculum to be used at our K-5 schools.
District 6 has selected 7 Mindsets social emotional learning Curriculum to be utilized at our middle and high schools.
Second Step Skills and Concepts
- Unit 1: Growth Mindset & Goal Setting
- Unit 2: Emotion Management
- Unit 3: Empathy & Kindness
- Unit 4: Problem-Solving
Everything is Possible
Dream Big, Embrace Creativity, Think Positive, Act & Adjust
Focus on Strengths, Explore Your Interests, Take a Stand, Be Authentic
We are Connected
Embrace Everyone, Maximize Positive Relationships, Dream Team, Lead with Value
Own Your Life, Overcome Limiting Beliefs, Focus Your Energy, Grow Through Life
Attitude of Gratitude
Treasure Yourself, Be More Grateful, Thank It Forward, Elevate Your Perspective
Live to Give
Stretch Yourself, Make a Difference, Receive Gracefully, Create a Legacy
The Time is Now
Embrace Every Moment, Get into the Zone, Let Yourself be Vulnerable, Act with Purpose