Interpretor and Translator Services

  • Parents/Guardians:

    The instructions on this page are for Greeley-Evans School District 6 employees. If you are a parent/guardian and you need interpretation / translation services, please contact your child’s school. Thank you.

    District Employees:

    Greeley-Evans School District 6 has a very diverse multicultural population speaking many languages. District 6 is committed to communicating with all parents, including parents who may speak and understand a language other than English. District 6 provides interpretation through the “CTS-Language Link” and D6 Interpreters to facilitate daily communication regarding matters that impact a student's education.  Below you will find instructions on how to access the “CTS-Language Link” and how to request a D6 Interpreter.


Interpreter Services

  • OPTION 1:  CTS-Language Link

    For individual parent conversations and parent conference meetings, we highly encourage the use of our phone service “CTS- Language Link”.  Connect with someone in minutes using a speakerphone or cell phone speaker.  This service can be used to call home as well as for face-to-face meetings.

    **Family Center employees would be glad to come to your school to demonstrate how this system works.


    How to Use the “CTS-Language Link” phone service

    CTS Language Link

    Step 1: Call 1-888-338-7394

    Step 2: Enter Account Number 19748, followed by # sign

    Step 3: Select 1 to be connected directly to a Spanish interpreter. Select 2 to be connected directly to a Russian Interpreter.    

                Select 3 to be connected directly to a Vietnamese Interpreter

                Select 9 for all other languages

    **If you require a 3rd party call, press 9 to reach a Customer Service Representative

    Step 4:  Enter School Location Code, followed by the # sign

    Step 5:  Put your phone on “SPEAKER”.

    Step 6:  The Finance Department will send the school a bill for the service and the school will submit a Purchase Order for payment.

    *If you do not know your school code or need assistance, you can contact the family center at (970) 348-4700 or

    OPTION 2: In-Person Interpreter/Translator

    To request the assistance of an Interpreter/Translator, contact your building's administration. 

    IEP Meeting Process for Spanish-speaking families


    Step 1:  Please contact Special Education Interpreters for Spanish IEP meetings. They will bring their own recorders.

    Laura Lanphear:   970-348-6106  or email at:

    Lidia Baca – 970-348-6108 or email at:

    Elsa Cox – 970-348-6283 or email at: 

IEP Meeting Process for Spanish Speaking Families