All students are to wear white, yellow, black or gray collared shirts and navy blue, black or khaki pants. Female students can also wear skirts or jumpers but should not be more than one inch above the knee. Shoes should be white, brown or black dress shoes or tennis shoes. Sweatshirts or sweaters should be white, yellow, black or gray (no stripes, logos or emblems). The only logo that is permitted is the Jackson Elementary logo.
Be sure your child dresses warmly for winter playground activities. Please mark clothing so misplaced items can be returned to your child.
In an instance where unsuitable clothes are worn to school, the principal or her designee will inform the child that a change of clothes is necessary before he/she can return to class.
Enhanced Dress Code for Specific Schools
Some schools in District 6 have individually chosen to have a more detailed and proscriptive dress code, in addition to the district wide Universal Student Dress Code. These decisions have been based on requests by students, families and others in the school community. All stakeholders, including students, parents and staff, participated in the decision-making process at each school.
The following elementary schools use an enhanced dress code for students:
- Centennial Elementary
- Dos Rios Elementary
- Bella Romero Academy
- Madison Elementary
- Maplewood Elementary
- Martinez Elementary
- Jackson Elementary
- All shirts must be gray, yellow, white or black
- All shirts must have a collar
- All shirts must have sleeves, either short or long
- Shirts cannot display logos, designs, or brand names (except for school name/logo/mascot/etc)
Pants, Skirts, Jumpers and Shorts
- Must be black, khaki, or dark blue
- No denim jeans
- No sweatpants, baggy pants or stretch
Non-Negotiable Universal Student Dress Code Expectations
- Any clothing item or accessory that causes a disruption to school safety, personal safety and/or the learning environment may result in discretionary intervention by school administrators.
- Tattoos, clothing or accessories that display drugs, sexual innuendos, inappropriate language, alcohol, tobacco products or gang connotations are not permitted. Tattoos displaying any of these must be covered at all times.
- No hats are permitted inside of the school building during the school day. If "hoodies" are worn, the hood may not be worn inside of the school (religious headwear exceptions).
- Sunglasses or dark glasses, absent a verified medical condition, are not to be worn or displayed inside of the building.
- Trench coats are not permitted anywhere on school property.
- Soled shoes or sandals must be worn at all times (no "bedroom slippers or similar footwear).
- No exposed undergarments.
- Inappropriately sheer, tight or low-cut clothing that bares or exposes traditionally provate parts of the body including, but not limited to, the stomach buttocks, back, breasts or cleavage is not permitted.
- No shaved or notched eyebrows (absent a verified medical condition).
- No red or blue belts or shoelaces.
- No team jerseys or belt buckles that display the numbers 13, 14, 18, 31, 41, or 81.
- No solid red or solid blue shirts (other than designated school uniforms).
- No red or blue "Dickies" or "Southpole" brand pants, shorts or shirts.
- No red or blue bandanas or any other color bandana that is draped on clothing or hanging out of a pocket.
Appropriate athletic clothing may be worn in physical education classes. Clothing normally worn when participating in school-sponsored extra-curricular or sports activities (such as cheerleading uniforms and the like) may be worn to school when approved by the sponsor or coach.