Special Education Surrogate Volunteer
- Act on behalf of the student you are appointed to with all of the rights and authority of a parent in matters of special education.
- Meet and observe the student at school.
- Review student records and receive progress report information about the student.
- Sign evaluation consent forms.
- Attend education related meetings for the student and be involved in the planning and discussions regarding the student’s special education needs.
- Approve an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for the student.
- Monitor the student’s special education services, progress and educational placement.
- Respect the confidentiality of all records and student related information.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit a completed application.
- Must not be employed by an agency that is involved in the care and/or education of the student.
- Successful completion of the Special Education Surrogate Program training.