WELCOME BACK TO dos rios elementary SCHOOL,
hope you had an enjoyable summer!!
Here are a few notes from the Health Office:
1. PLEASE MAKE SURE WE HAVE A HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE FILLED OUT REGARDING YOUR STUDENTS HEALTH, WHETHER THERE ARE NEW DIAGNOSES OR EXISTING HEALTH ON YOUR STUDENT, SO WE MAY ASSIST YOUR STUDENT'S HEALTH HERE AT SCHOOL.
2. IF YOUR STUDENT HAS ANY HEALTH CONDITION THAT WE NEED TO BE AWARE OF, PLEASE LIST ALL AND ANY MEDICATIONS ON THE HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE THAT THE SCHOOL PROVIDES DURING REGISTRATION.
3. ALLERY Season~WITH ALL THE ALLERGIES IN THE AIR MAKE SURE THAT IF YOUR STUDENT WILL NEED TO TAKE ALLERGY MEDICATION DURING SCHOOL HOURS, YOU NEED TO HAVE PHYSICIAN AUTHORIZATION FORM FILLED OUT AND SIGNED BY PHYSICIAN AND PARENT/GUARDIAN, THIS ALSO APPLIES TO ANY HOMOPATHIC NATURAL SOLUTIONS.
4. JUst a few tips from the weld county school district and their policy on reasons to keep students home, check this out~~~ WCSD #6 Policy Reasons to Stay Home ~ English / WCSD #6 Policy Reasons to Stay Home ~ Spanish !!!!!
5. Most Important Health Concerns: Please inform the school nurse for any health concerns your student may have so we can treat them at school, whether it's allergis (whether it be environmental, seasonal, food, bees, medications....etc), Asthma, diabetes & Seizures. We have authorization forms in the healath office that need to be filled out and returned by physicianand parent/guardian to be able to treat your student in school or field trip. also we need to have physician authorizations for medications we Do not carry in health office even cough drops (sorry for the inconvenience, it is District policy!)
6. Head lice: do head lice have you "scratching your head"? head lice (pediculosis)are always in a school's community, so it's good to know the basic information about them. they don't cause disease. They don't fly or hop, they only crawl. direct physical head to head contact is the usual method of transmission. tranmission via clothing, hats, furniture, carpets, school bus seats and other objects is not likely because of the biology of head lice. lice can only live 1-2 days off of a human body. ways to prevent getting head lice: avoid direct contact with a person who has lice, or with their clothing or with their clothing or personal belongings. watch for signs of lice, such as frequent head scratching. nits are the egg of the lice bug and can be seen on the hair shaft; they are yellow- white and oval- shaped. they are "cemented" to the hair shaft and can't be easily from the hair. teach children not to share combs, brushes, scarves, hair ribbons, helmets, headphones, hats, towels, bedding, clothing, or other personal items.
if you have any questions, contact the health office at 348-1326.
health insurance "does your child need health insuranc? District 6 can help you in the process of getting free or low-cost health insurance through medicaid or chp+. please contact your school health clerk at 348-1326 or come into health office for a flyer with more information.
Immunizations : we should remind ourselves that it is important to know that there are certain vaccines required by the state of colorado for entry into school. the kids care clinic: (348-1112) is a resource available to all dos rios students. they can ofer information about vaccines as well as provide immunizations. There are several informative websites that are great resources for parents www.immunizeforgood.com and www.coloradimmunizations.com in addition, we encourage you to speak with your health care provider regarding any immunization questions. we appreciate your assistance with keeping our school a healthy place to learn. the kids care clinic (located next to centennial elementary school) is a fantastic resource available to dos rios students and their siblings. kids care clinic offers, medical services such as physicals, immunizations and well child checks, dental and mental health services as well as assist families in enrolling and renewing in Medicaid and chp+ plans. the kids care clinic is open throughout the school year. call now to make an appointment! Call 348-1112 with any questions or to make an appointment.
More notes from the nurse!!!
~~If your student borrowED dry clothes FROM THE HEALTH OFFICE, PLEASE wash and return (except undergarments). I do get a supply from Scroll & Fan but sometimes there's a high volume in demanD.
~~If your student loses clothing like jackets, lunch boxes, shoes, shirts, etc.... please check the lost and found outside the school cafeteria.
~~ if your student IS MISSING prescription glasses, please swing by the health office during the school year. I have a selection OF GLASSES THAT HAVE BEEN FOUND AROUND THE SCHOOL. If they AREN'T picked up BY THE END OF THE YEAR, they will be donated.
~~ if a student REQUIRES medications at school, please swing by Nurse's office to get proper paper work to have the doctor/parent COMPLETE. Medications we THAT WE do not carry in the health office will need Phyisician Authorization even cough drops :)
have any questions please don't hesitate, we are here to help you!!
elizabeth eberhard, rn school nurse consultant
Lori montgomery, health clerk
Dos Rios Health office 970-348-1326 Fax 970-348-1332