What to Expect in 8th Grade
Online School Due to State Wide Stay at Home Order Update:
Starting Tuesday, March 31st, 2020, your 6th grade students will begining online classes at Chappelow. These classes will be an opportunity for you students to stay connected to each other, to staff, and to keep up on their academics during these unprecented times.
Students need to check their student emails and parent emails in the upcoming days for specific times and schedules, but here are some general points.
- Students will log into Schoology. Here is the link : SCHOOLOGY
- Students will have a daily schedule from 8:00 - 12:00. They should login to Schoology during each period to be accounted for and touch base with their teachers.
- During 1:10 - 4:00 students will have the oportunity to login in for assistance or support from teachers during virtual office hours.
- Student work will be assigned daily, just as if we are in school, but feedback on assignment might look differently because of the different structures.
- If a student doesn't check in during the 8:00 - 12:00 class day, we will reach out to them during our office hour time via email or telephone to make sure everyone is okay.
- Below is the current schedule:
If you have any questions at all, please reach out via email to any of your child's 8th grade team, or to the building administration.
- Math- Homework daily 20 minutes.
- Science- Most work done in class. Projects studying notes done as homework.
- Social Studies- Most work done in class. Projects and studying notes done as homework.
- Language Arts- Nightly reading to fulfill AR goals. Quarterly projects/exams.
As an 8th grader, students are expected to write in their planner daily in all core classes. They are to write the topic of the day and any homework they have. This is a great tool for parents to see what your child learned in school and their homework. This is also a way to communicate with teachers.
The 8th grade team will use multiple avenues in order to give your student the best education we can provide. This will include any pertinent background knowledge necessary to understand new learnings, hands-on projects and assignments, necessary homework to strengthen skills, the usage of technology as a toll for better understanding, and much more. We as a team and as individuals are excited to have the opportunity to work with students and parents to provide the best education to each of our students.
Transition to HIgh School and Beyond
8th grade is a school year in and of itself, but it is also a transition year. We not only provide the education necessary for 8th grade, but also work to make the transition into high school much easier. There will be days where 8th grade will work with Mrs. Fay to help students understand their passions and interests that hopefully help students and parents choose the correct high school based on the classes offered. Throughout the year we will attend field trips to the district high schools, a career fair, and to Junior Achievement Financial Park to help students understand how important their education is.