District Attendance Policy – (Policy: JH)
It is our philosophy that significant learning for all students is provided each time class is held in Weld County School District 6. This educational opportunity is provided as a result of in-class participation and high-quality instruction. The benefits of this experience cannot be fully replaced. Consequently, regular and punctual attendance is an important criterion for success in school and absences are detrimental to effective learning.
• Excused absences are defined as any absence from school due to temporary illness or injury and any other reason deemed acceptable by the school administrator. Parents must call the office to excuse an absence within 48 hours. The school administrator may require verification, such as a physician’s statement when absences become habitual.
• The school administrator may call a meeting with the student and their parent or guardian if the child has four excused absences from school in any month, or ten excused absences during any school year. Together we will create a plan to ensure students are in school, learning at high levels.
• Unexcused absences are absences which are not reported to the school by a parent or guardian within 48 hours, or not judged as excused by the school administration.
• Students who have four unexcused absences in any month or ten unexcused absences during any school year may be called “Habitually Truant” and may be referred to the Youth and Family Connection.
• K-3 Campus - All students need to be in their classroom by 8:35 am. Any student arriving after 8:35 am is tardy and will be required to go to the office to receive a tardy slip. Any student dismissed before 3:55 pm will also be tardy as learning continues until 3:55 pm. Only students who are ill or have a written doctor’s appointment note will be excused. (Students dismissed at or before 12:00 pm will be marked absent for a half day.)
• 4-8 Campus - All students need to be in their classroom by 8:25 am. Any student arriving after 8:25 am is tardy and will be required to go to the office to receive a tardy slip. Any student dismissed before 3:45 pm will also be tardy as learning continues until 3:45 pm. Only students who are ill or have a written doctor’s appointment note will be excused. (Students dismissed at or before 12:00 pm will be marked absent for a half day.)
Parents are encouraged to notify the school for student absences, but the absence will be excused by the school according to the above guidelines. A student will be limited to 4 excused absences in a month and 10 excused absences in a year. Any pre-arranged absences must be pre-approved by the school administrator. If you have any questions regarding attendance please call (970) 348-1400 or (970) 348-2500.