348-5407 or 348-5414
D6WHS_Attendance@greeleyschools.org- New attendance email
Each student in the district is required to attend school daily as established by the calendar determined annually by the Board and in compliance with state law. Unauthorized absences shall be subject to disciplinary action as outlined in accompanying procedures. A cooperative effort between the student, parent, district and the community regarding attendance fosters a positive educational experience. Therefore, the following goals and guidelines have been developed to establish good attendance habits.
Excused absences are defined as any absence from school due to temporary illness or injury and any other reason deemed acceptable by the school administrator. In general, prior notice of absence from the student’s parent or guardian is required and the school administrator may require verification, such as a physician’s statement, when appropriate. After 10 days of absences a parent/guardian must provide verification, such as a physician’s statement, in order to excuse subsequent absences.
The following shall be considered excused absences:
- A student who is temporarily ill or injured or whose absence is approved by the administrator of the school of attendance on a pre-arranged basis. Prearranged absences shall be approved for appointments or circumstances of a serious nature only which cannot be taken care of outside of school hours. Approval for a pre-arranged absence(s) may necessitate a parent conference.
- A student who is absent for an extended period due to physical, mental or emotional disability. Medical documentation may be required.
- A student who is pursuing a work-study program under the supervision of the school.
- A student who is attending any school-sponsored activity or activities of an educational nature with advance approval by the administration.
- A student who is suspended or expelled.
Parents have 48 Hours to contact the GWHS Attendance Secretary in order to an excuse an absence for any of the reasons listed above. As GWHS receives over 150 attendance calls per day, please leave a message at 348-5414 in order for our secretary to change the attendance in Infinite Campus. The attendance secretary will not return phone calls unless additional information is needed.
If a student needs to check-out during the school day for an appointment, parents are asked to come into the main office to speak to the attendance secretary so that a pass can be sent down to excuse the student from class.
IMPORTANT ATTENDANCE INFORMATION
- Early Check-out for appointments
- Attendance Office requires a one (1) hour notice to request the check-out of students. Please note that students will not be released after 3:15 PM without the one (1) hour notice. (In cases of emergencies, we will do our best to release students in a timely manner.)
- Doctor Appointments
- Students are excused for appointment/travel times only. All Dr. Notes must have appointment times written on them, and if needed, the excused dates from school by Doctor.
- Pre-Arranged Absences
- Pre-arranged absences: If your student will be absent three (3) or more days from school your student will need to fill out a pre-arranged absence form PRIOR to the absence. (Forms are found on-line at our school web page, https://www.greeleyschools.org/greeleywest, at Attendance window, or Main office.)
- ***Please Note**** When parents call after the fact to excuse their student for an extended absence, a pre-arranged absence form will need to be filled out and signed by his/her Grade Level Principal before the absences are excused. Attendance Office needs to keep this form on file.
- The Attendance Office will only go back 48 hours to excuse previous absences unless informed otherwise by Principals, a valid doctor note, or by Court documents. **ALL NOTES MUST BE WITHIN THE LAST 48 HOURS**
- The Attendance Office is NOT responsible to fix attendance mistakes between a student and teacher. It will be your student’s responsibility to speak with their teacher involved to fix attendance mistakes. If a correction needs to be made the teacher will then make the adjustments with the Attendance Office.
- Parents/Guardians – After students have acquired 10 days of missed school days (Excused or Unexcused), any further absences will not be excused without a doctor note, Pre-Arranged Form, Court Doc., or permission from students Grade Level Principal.
INFORMACION IMPORTANTE SOBRE ASISTENCIA
- Liberacion Temprana
- La Oficina de Asistencia requiere una notificación de una (1) hora para solicitar la salida de los estudiantes. Tenga en cuenta que los estudiantes no serán liberados después de las 3:15 PM sin el aviso de una (1) hora.
- Citas Médicas
- Los estudiantes son excusados sólo para citas y tiempo de viaje para la cita. Todas las Notas del doctor deben tener horario de las citas escritas en ellos, y si es necesario, las fechas excusadas de la escuela por el Doctor.
- Ausencias Arreglado de Antemano
- Si su estudiante estará ausente tres (3) o más días su estudiante necesitará llenar una forma de ausencia ANTES de la ausencia. (Los formularios se encuentran en linea en la pagina de la escuela por internet https://greeleyschools.org/greeleywest, en la ventana de asistencia, o en la oficina principale.)
- ***Nota*** Cuando los padres llaman después de la ausencia para excusar a su estudiante por una ausencia prolongada, el o la estudiante deber llenar el formulario y debe ser firmado por su director de grado antes de que las ausencias sean justificadas. La Oficina de Asistencia tiene que mantener este formulario en el archivo.
- Solamente tienen 48 horas para justificar las ausencias anteriores, a menos que los directores lo indiquen, tengan nota válida del doctor,. o documentos de la Corte. Todas las notas deben ser dentro de los ultimos 48 horas.
- La Oficina de Asistencia NO es responsable de arreglar los errores de asistencia entre el estudiante y el maestro. Será responsabilidad del estudiante hablar con dicho maestro para arreglar los errores de asistencia. El maestro entonces se comunicar con la Oficina de Asistencia para justificar la falta.
Padres / tutores: Después de que los estudiantes tengan mas de 80 ausencias de clase (justificadas o no), ya no se justificarán ausencias sin una nota de doctor, formulario de ausencia arreglada, papel de la corte o un permiso del director.
Attendance Plan and Attendance Court
When a student has reached the equivalent of four days of absences from school in any month or ten days of absences during any school year, the school shall either require a meeting or other form of communication between the student’s parent/guardian and appropriate school personnel to review and evaluate the reasons for the student being habitually absent from school. A plan may be developed for the student with the goal of assisting the student to remain in school. The student’s parent/guardian may participate with school personnel in the development of the plan. The district may require suitable proof regarding the above exceptions, including written statements from medical sources. When the district is aware that criteria exist to designate a student as habitually truant, the district shall refer the student and his or her parent/guardian to the Weld County Judicial System, Youth and Family Connections and/or the Weld County District Attorney’s Juvenile Diversion Unit.
An unexcused absence is defined as an absence that is not covered by one of the foregoing exceptions. Student will be marked absent if they are more than 10 minutes late to a class. Additionally, an unexcused absence shall be recorded if a student leaves a school or leaves a class without permission of the teacher or school administrator. Each unexcused absence shall be entered on the student’s record. The parents/guardians of the student receiving an unexcused absence shall be notified orally or in writing by the district of the unexcused absence. In accordance with law, the district may impose academic penalties which relate directly to classes missed while unexcused. Penalties may include a warning, school detention or in-school suspension. Academic penalties, out-of-school suspensions or expulsion shall not be imposed for any unexcused absence. The maximum number of unexcused absences a student may incur before judicial proceedings are initiated to enforce compulsory attendance is 10 during any calendar year or school year.
Tardiness is defined as the appearance of a student without proper excuse after the scheduled time that a class begins. Because of the disruptive nature of tardiness and the detrimental effect upon the rights of the non-tardy student to uninterrupted learning, appropriate penalties shall be imposed for excessive tardiness. Students will be marked absent if they are more than 10 minutes late to a class. In an unavoidable situation, a student detained by another teacher or administrator shall not be considered tardy provided that the teacher or administrator gives the student a pass to enter the next class. Teachers shall honor passes presented in accordance with this policy. For those students who arrive 10 or more minutes late to class, they will be marked as “unexcused absent” unless they have pass from a staff member.
Tardiness is a huge issue in our school. In order to combat tardiness, the following policies will be in place:
- A one minute warning bell will sound prior to the start of each class. When that bell rings, students will be expected to move to class to avoid being late. Students will be asked to leave vending machines, water fountains, and end conversations at this time.
- Students who are not in their seat when the bell sounds to start class, they will be marked as tardy by the teacher.
- Administration will pull data on tardiness on a weekly basis. If a student is found to be habitually tardy to class, students will serve a lunch detention.
Make-up work will be provided for any class in which a student has an excused absence unless otherwise determined by the building administrator. It is the responsibility of the student to pick up any make-up assignments on the day he/she returned to class. There shall be two days allowed for make-up work for each day excused absence. Make-up work may be allowed following an unexcused absence with the goal of providing the student an opportunity to keep up with the class and an incentive to attend school. Make-up work following an unexcused absence may only receive partial or may not receive any credit. Extenuating circumstances will be considered.