Degrees and Certifications:
8th Grade Math (Team 8A)
My name is Carrington Rex, and I teach three 8th grade math classes and an accelerated 8th grade math class. This is my fifth year as a teacher and fourth year here at Heath Middle School. I am from Denver, CO and graduated from the University of Northern Colorado in May 2013. I am very excited to be teaching 8th Grade Mathematics because this is my passion!
The 8th grade math classes will focus on pre-algebra concepts.
- Module 1: Integer Exponents and Scientific notation
- This module discusses simplifying exponents.
- Module 2: The Concept of Congruence
- This module will talk about transformations of shapes like flips, slides, and turns.
- Module 3: Similarity
- This module will teach us about dilations of shapes (expanding and shrinking shapes).
- Module 4: Linear Equations
- This is a big module, but I promise we will spend a long time with it. We will learn how to solve equations with one variable as well as equations with two variables (system of equations).
- Module 5: Examples of Functions from Geometry
- This module looks into what makes a relation a function.
- Module 6: Linear Functions
- This module will expand on what we learned in module 5 by looking specifically at linear functions (lines).
- Module 7: Introduction to Irrational Numbers Using Geometry
- We will discover in this module what the number systems looks like and what makes a number rational or irrational. We will also look at the Pythagorean Theorem, which helps us find missing values in a right triangle.
The accelerated 8th grade math class will focus on the same concepts, but also bring in more algebraic concepts.
I am very excited to be here and cannot wait to see what this year has in store for us!