Welcome Back! A letter from Mr. Petersen
Good Morning, McAuliffe Silver Falcon Families!
We are beyond excited to welcome you to the 2021-2022 school year. Whether you are a returning student or new to our family, we are so honored that you have chosen us to be a part of your academic journey. As always, we thank you for entrusting us with the important job of helping your child to reach for and realize their unique potential. We have a lot of exciting changes coming this year, as many of you know. We are so grateful for the 50,000 square foot addition made possible by the voters in Greeley and Evans. We cannot wait for you to see the final product when it opens as it is a beautiful learning space that we hope will exceed all your expectations. Your partnership is essential to us and to your child, so we wanted to take the opportunity to share with you some important information to kick off the year right.
Classroom Assignments for Grades 1st-8th: By Wednesday, August 4th, you should receive an email notifying you of your child’s homeroom or advisory teacher. Complete schedules for middle level students will be available during our open house. Middle level students will report to their advisory teacher for the open house and on their first day of school.
Kindergarten Information: We are so excited to welcome our youngest Silver Falcons. In order to best assign our classes, we complete kindergarten testing for each child. For those who have already signed up for testing, we will confirm your testing time by Wednesday, August 4th. If you aren’t scheduled, please contact the main office right away. Kindergarten parents, don’t worry as we’ve got you covered. Every year we host a “BooHoo Breakfast.” Immediately after you drop off your child, you are welcome to join us for a quick breakfast snack, meet fellow kindergarten parents, and write your kindergartner a special letter telling them how proud you are of this important part of their journey.
Back to School Nights: We are so excited to be able to welcome parents back into McAuliffe in person. The last time we were able to do this was March 13, 2020, so this is exciting. Keep in mind that our school is in the midst of a tremendous renovation and construction addition, but it is important for us to bring you along on this journey. This is your child’s home away from home after all!
During our open house, you can come meet your teacher(s) and see your classroom, drop off school supplies, and connect with old friends. Prior to the open house, we ask that you be sure to complete our returning students’ fall registration which can be found here: www.greeleyschools.org/FallRegistration. If you don’t complete this by then, we are happy to help you do so at the school that night.
- 1st - 8th Grade Open House: August 10, 2021 from 5:00pm-7:00pm.
- Kindergarten Open House: August 12, 2021 from 4:30-6:00pm.
First Days of School: In order to learn routines and procedures with smaller groups and so teachers have an opportunity to better know your students, our district has decided to break the first day of school up into two days. We will use the last names of students to designate which day students attend; however, if a household has students with different last names, we ask that you use the last name of the oldest child (with the exception of kindergarten) so all of your Silver Falcons report on the same day.
- Grades 1st-8th:
- August 12th - First day for students whose last names start with A-L
- August 13th -First day for students whose last names start with M-Z
- August 17th -First day for students whose last names start with A-L
- August 18th -First day for students whose last names start with M-Z
Safety Precautions: Our district continues to monitor the guidance issued by the CDPHE and will be publishing COVID safety precautions that all schools will follow. Face coverings are optional for all vaccinated individuals and highly recommended for others. We are hopeful that this school year will look similar to years in the past. You should have received an email from Dr. Pilch last week outlining current procedures.
Dropoff and Dismissal: In order to ensure student safety during dropoff and pick up times, we ask that you adhere to the procedures we have in place. We strongly encourage you to allow your child to walk to and from school if you are within the walk boundary to alleviate traffic congestion.
- Drop Off- Active supervision on our campus begins at 8:30 on Mondays and 7:30 Tuesdays-Fridays as our school day begins at 8:50 on Mondays and 7:50 on Tuesdays-Fridays. Please do not have your child arrive at school prior to these times. For the time being, we will continue to use the two-lane dropoff system we implemented in the south parking lot last year. Cars in the right lane will need to exit to the right, and cars in the left lane will need to exit to the left. Please plan to pull forward and have your child ready to exit as soon as you are at the blue line. This means backpacks should be packed and ready, papers signed, hugs and farewells should happen before you enter the parking lot. Upon arrival, students will report directly to their classroom. Students must be in the building by 7:50 or they will be marked as tardy.
- Dismissal- Our walkers, daycare, and students requiring busing will have the opportunity to be dismissed at 3:08pm. Walkers will be asked to immediately leave campus. In the first days of school, these students will need to complete a permission slip stating they can leave at the walking dismissal time. At 3:10pm, teachers will escort their class/grade level to a designated spot at the front of the school around our blue line. Students will remain in a line until their ride is available. All grade levels will have a designated departure space which will be identified. In general, our elementary students will be in lines at the front southwest side of the building/lawn. Our middle level students will be on the southeast side of our blue line curve.
Chromebook: If your child was in District 6 last year, they were assigned a Chromebook and charger last year. Even if they are transferring in from another school in District 6, they need to bring that device with them to McAuliffe. If your student is new to District 6, a Chromebook will be checked out to them during the 1st full week of school. Students will need to continue to be responsible for that computer and bring it charged every day.
Lunches: Until construction is complete, we will be eating breakfast and lunch in the classroom. For this reason, we are unable to accommodate lunchtime visitors. If students pack a lunch, please keep in mind that we do not have available microwaves in classrooms, so please make sure meals don’t need to be heated. We are also unable to accept food delivery services (GrubHub, DoorDash, any restaurant that delivers) on behalf of your student, so we ask that you refrain from ordering delivery.
Meal Benefits: This year, we are asking all families to complete the meal benefits application. These will be accepted by our district’s nutrition department through September 2021. Our best hope is to be able to identify families eligible to receive PEBT benefits. PEBT benefits are an additional financial benefit during the pandemic for families with school-age children. If you do qualify for the meal benefits, any sports registration fees are waived if you choose to share that information with the school. Please click on the following link to apply today: https://family.titank12.com/
Middle Level Sports: We strongly encourage every middle level student to try at least one athletic activity. Sports are a great way to get involved and middle school is all about continuing to explore and find your passion inside and outside the classroom. Middle school sports registration is live and you can register your 6th, 7th or 8th grade athlete for any of our available sports by clicking on this link.
- Fall 2021
- Cross Country (co-ed)
- Football (co-ed)
- Girls Volleyball
- Winter 2021-2022
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Basketball
- Spring 2022
- Boys Soccer
- Girls Soccer
Volunteering: We are so excited to welcome all of our volunteers back to our building. In order to volunteer and participate in classroom activities/field trips, you will need to register. This process takes approximately 2-3 weeks to complete. We simply ask that you follow the district’s masking protocols. If you have registered in the past, you will need to re-register this year. Please register at https://www.greeleyschools.org/volunteer. We are also always looking for substitute teachers, so if you are willing and able, please let us know and we can help. Just think of it as paid volunteering!
We appreciate all of your support and patience as we begin this year. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have.
Thank you very much!
Jeff Petersen, Principal