Community asked to submit names for new school
Residents of Greeley-Evans School District 6 are invited to submit their suggestions for naming the new preschool-eighth grade school that will be constructed in West Greeley and open in Fall of 2022.
The new school will be located near Boomerang Golf Course off 71st Avenue, between 4th and 10th streets. This is the first new school to be constructed in Greeley-Evans School District 6 - that isn’t replacing an existing school - since 2003, and the first time additional classrooms have been added to the district in nearly 20 years.
The school is being funded through the 2019 bond issue. The focus of the new school will emphasize pre-engineering. The school will also include typical core and elective courses.
“This is the first time in a long time that residents of Greeley and Evans will have a brand, new school to help name,” said Superintendent Dr. Deirdre Pilch. “This school is only possible because of voters supported the 2019 bond issue for District 6. This is the community’s school, and we want community members to be part of the naming process.”
Residents of the school district can submit their suggested name for the new school here.
According to District 6 Board of Education policy and regulation, the following guidelines shall be used when considering facility names:
- The street on which the school is located, or
- The community or area of the city in which the school is located, or
- In memory of a famous American (surname only), or
- In recognition of the contribution to education by a resident or family associated with the local community, or an outstanding citizen who is deceased for at least five years (surname only), and
- No two schools in the district shall be given the same name.
Recommendations should be submitted by 4 p.m. September 10. A Naming Committee – composed of community members, district staff and students – will make recommendations for naming the new school to the Superintendent, who will then take those recommendations to the Board of Education for final approval.